MKCentral Universal Ruleset Suggestion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

thimo

This is probably not happening, but I know for a fact many people agree with me on this one, so I'll have a shot at it.
I'd like a rule added that bans Baby Park. Which would be enforced by handing out a score penalty if it does get picked by the random track selector. (repick-esque) There are pros and cons to banning it, and I'd like to go over some.

So why should we ban this track? First and foremost, A majority of the community straight up dislikes the track. There have been several threads on MKC that support this claim. Shiiguy's Rank your favourite tracks! puts Baby Park at 40th average with a sample size of 45. I made a frecuency distribution of all the results on his thread as of 19/03/2019. Nato's mk8 track tier list maker also show Baby Park towards the bottom on most posts. Many agree that the track is meant for a casual audience, and I'd say MKU in general just isn't meant to be casual. People picking Baby Park intent it as a troll pick 9/10 times, either because they're winning by a lot, losing by a lot, or just want to spite.

Secondly, I'd like to address the fact that the track is uncompetitive. Teamplay becomes a grey area, because it is hard to communicate and observe everyone's current position on a track this size. There's a lack of team strategy, and most people go into the track with their own individual strategy, be it running or bagging, hoping for the best. The itemspam this track brings is fun for nobody, you can chain 4 itemboxes per lap, and on a track this small, it's gonna be a big mess. Bombs, Triple Items, Super Horns, Fire Flower are all items that you want to get rid of asap, but in doing so you're actually bound to hit someone, be it your teammates or enemies. This is something that I think goes against the element of being a team, especially in MKU, where you want to compete and win as a team.

Something a ban would hurt is the freedom in trackpicks. There has never been a track ban in any vanilla Mario Kart game across the series in competitive play. However, I don't think that should completely wipe out the idea of a ban. In MKW and MK7, Glitch variants of certain tracks were banned because of their uncompetitive nature. This is the closest we ever got to a track ban, and even though it isn't a full track ban, it is at least something. One thing I'd like to bring up is that in other games' their competitive scene, single bans on certain elements happen. For example, in Pokemon's Uber Tier, Mega Rayquaza is the first and only banned Pokemon, starting in generation 6, after allowing every Pokemon to compete for 5 and a half generations. Furthermore, Akuma has been the only banned character in Super Street Fighter II Turbo in North American tournaments, with a soft-ban in Japanese ones. This alone shows that some communities favor a ban over full inclusiveness.

I hope the staff will actually consider this topic. Maybe put a poll out there for the whole community through either posting it in the MKC or the MKU discord channel. The voice of the community counts and I'd say a 60% supermajority in favor of ban would hopefully be enough to convince you all to at least try it in the next MKU season, which is already going to experiment with a newer format.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Benjax

Viva la palta
Site Supporter
Founding Member
This is probably not happening, but I know for a fact many people agree with me on this one, so I'll have a shot at it.
I'd like a rule added that bans Baby Park. Which would be enforced by handing out a score penalty if it does get picked by the random track selector. (repick-esque) There are pros and cons to banning it, and I'd like to go over some.

So why should we ban this track? First and foremost, A majority of the community straight up dislikes the track. There have been several threads on MKC that support this claim. Shiiguy's Rank your favourite tracks! puts Baby Park at 40th average with a sample size of 45. I made a frecuency distribution of all the results on his thread as of 19/03/2019. Nato's mk8 track tier list maker also show Baby Park towards the bottom on most posts. Many agree that the track is meant for a casual audience, and I'd say MKU in general just isn't meant to be casual. People picking Baby Park intent it as a troll pick 9/10 times, either because they're winning by a lot, losing by a lot, or just want to spite.

Secondly, I'd like to address the fact that the track is uncompetitive. Teamplay becomes a grey area, because it is hard to communicate and observe everyone's current position on a track this size. There's a lack of team strategy, and most people go into the track with their own individual strategy, be it running or bagging, hoping for the best. The itemspam this track brings is fun for nobody, you can chain 4 itemboxes per lap, and on a track this small, it's gonna be a big mess. Bombs, Triple Items, Super Horns, Fire Flower are all items that you want to get rid of asap, but in doing so you're actually bound to hit someone, be it your teammates or enemies. This is something that I think goes against the element of being a team, especially in MKU, where you want to compete and win as a team.

Something a ban would hurt is the freedom in trackpicks. There has never been a track ban in any vanilla Mario Kart game across the series in competitive play. However, I don't think that should completely wipe out the idea of a ban. In MKW and MK7, Glitch variants of certain tracks were banned because of their uncompetitive nature. This is the closest we ever got to a track ban, and even though it isn't a full track ban, it is at least something. One thing I'd like to bring up is that in other games' their competitive scene, single bans on certain elements happen. For example, in Pokemon's Uber Tier, Mega Rayquaza is the first and only banned Pokemon, starting in generation 6, after allowing every Pokemon to compete for 5 and a half generations. Furthermore, Akuma has been the only banned character in Super Street Fighter II Turbo in North American tournaments, with a soft-ban in Japanese ones. This alone shows that some communities favor a ban over full inclusiveness.

I hope the staff will actually consider this topic. Maybe put a poll out there for the whole community through either posting it in the MKC or the MKU discord channel. The voice of the community counts and I'd say a 60% supermajority in favor of ban would hopefully be enough to convince you all to at least try it in the next MKU season, which is already going to experiment with a newer format.

Don't ban dBP.
Why?
Because is the best track of the game.
Everything in this track is completely about skill, 0 luck (you need to be at least div0 to pick it)
This is a clear proof of what I just said.
JPEG_20180907_180335.jpg
Thanks for reading and good night.

Jazzy

8va ~ Going the octave higher
Staff member
Administrator
Amplify Staff
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Personally I'm against banning baby park, or any track for that matter.

So why should we ban this track? First and foremost, A majority of the community straight up dislikes the track. There have been several threads on MKC that support this claim.

It may be true that people in general dislike baby park, but if people are picking it in the first place, this displays intent to want to play the track.

Secondly, I'd like to address the fact that the track is uncompetitive.
It's definitely difficult to have any sort of team strategy during the race, but don't forget part of the strategy in wars is track picks in general. Baby Park serves as a 'hail mary' option or a way to break up your opponent's top 6.

In MKW and MK7, Glitch variants of certain tracks were banned because of their uncompetitive nature. This is the closest we ever got to a track ban, and even though it isn't a full track ban, it is at least something. One thing I'd like to bring up is that in other games' their competitive scene, single bans on certain elements happen. For example, in Pokemon's Uber Tier, Mega Rayquaza is the first and only banned Pokemon, starting in generation 6, after allowing every Pokemon to compete for 5 and a half generations. Furthermore, Akuma has been the only banned character in Super Street Fighter II Turbo in North American tournaments, with a soft-ban in Japanese ones.

The problem with this argument is that all of these cases have something banned for being overpowered, whereas baby park is the opposite. I think it's too loose a comparison to argue parallel to the cases you mention.

You're welcome, and I hope people weigh both sides before jumping on a conclusion.

Arti

\<(")/
Staff member
MKU Staff
Site Supporter
Founding Member
I'd like a rule added that bans Baby Park.
Alright hold the phone there buddy.

First and foremost, A majority of the community straight up dislikes the track. There have been several threads on MKC that support this claim.
This is definitely not a reason to ban a track. Personal feelings should never come into play when it comes to rules. It doesn't matter whether or not you like or dislike a track, but personal biases are not a reason to ban a track. It'd be different if the track itself was broken by having a box that auto gives any spot a star or something similar.

People picking Baby Park intent it as a troll pick 9/10 times, either because they're winning by a lot, losing by a lot, or just want to spite.
Or because it's a heavily strategic team play track.

Secondly, I'd like to address the fact that the track is uncompetitive.
It's competitive. You'll just need to adjust the way you see the track before making that statement. Just because it's not a 100% pure skill running track doesn't mean it's uncompetitive.

Teamplay becomes a grey area, because it is hard to communicate and observe everyone's current position on a track this size.
If anything, team play becomes way more important on a track like this. A short track that is filled with items makes it so you need to be more aware of where you are in comparison to your teammates, the opponents and the ground items at all times. Since one or two hits will bring a player from the front to the end, you can't just spam your items to get to the front, but you have to work your way around others so you don't hit your team and can bring the opponents towards the back. Yes, it is chaotic due to it's small layout, but it makes it more important to communicate even if it's harder.

There's a lack of team strategy, and most people go into the track with their own individual strategy, be it running or bagging, hoping for the best.
You'll need to flip a switch in your brain if you consider it a lack of team strategy track. You have to base all your split second decisions based on the people around you, where your team is, the spots your team has. The track plays out the same nearly every race, so if you and your team adjust to the way it plays, then you'll be able to succeed more than the other team a lot more than you'd think. If you want to spice it up, it's also a good track to troll on since it's so small. You can get triple shells in last, and just bop the opponents who are in the front of their end.

The itemspam this track brings is fun for nobody, you can chain 4 itemboxes per lap, and on a track this small, it's gonna be a big mess. Bombs, Triple Items, Super Horns, Fire Flower are all items that you want to get rid of asap, but in doing so you're actually bound to hit someone, be it your teammates or enemies. This is something that I think goes against the element of being a team, especially in MKU, where you want to compete and win as a team.
You'll need to adjust your gameplay so you don't spam every single item you get. This track makes people think about their items rather than just doing whatever with them hoping it doesn't hit their teammates. Yes, you have to actually think what you're going to do with your items. If you don't know what you're doing then obviously your team will perish. It doesn't go against being a team, it goes more towards thinking about your team so you don't hit them and get them to the front towards the end of the race.

There has never been a track ban in any vanilla Mario Kart game across the series in competitive play.
For now, Bowser's Castle Wii is banned on MKWii (not in league format but everywhere else when it's 12 players) since there's been a discovery of a glitch on the track where you spam your mirror button in certain sections of the track and your timer slows down for those areas allowing you to lag others ahead of you. This is an actual reason to ban a track.

In MKW and MK7, Glitch variants of certain tracks were banned because of their uncompetitive nature. This is the closest we ever got to a track ban, and even though it isn't a full track ban, it is at least something.
This is very different situations. One is a track that someone wants banned based on personal feelings, the other is are glitches that lets people finish races in under a minute on a 2 minute track.

For example, in Pokemon's Uber Tier, Mega Rayquaza is the first and only banned Pokemon, starting in generation 6, after allowing every Pokemon to compete for 5 and a half generations. Furthermore, Akuma has been the only banned character in Super Street Fighter II Turbo in North American tournaments, with a soft-ban in Japanese ones. This alone shows that some communities favor a ban over full inclusiveness.
This is different since these are broken characters.

As much as community input is important for a league to run, there shouldn't be a poll to ban this track for petty reasons. There needs to actually be a reason to ban a track in a game rather than 'I don't like this track so lets get rid of it.' If you don't like the track, then just don't select it.

Italic

Founding Member
Articuno makes some good points but trying to refute the fact that dbp is a troll track is not possible

Nato

Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Founding Member
I think Mount Wario and Ribbon Road are the worst things to exist but even if the entire community hated the track there's no actual good reason to ban it.

"It's uncompetitive" so is every bagging track since it promotes not going forward right away, we should also ban rDDD and dCL since half the room stops at the beginning, that's not competitive in a racing game.

The track being a mess and lack of teamplay means that maybe your teams just not communicating at all lol, any team on that track should know callouts are more important than anything.

tl;dr just because a track isn't pure running or chaotic (We are playing Mario Kart, right?) doesn't mean it should be banned

Ryan's

Media Staff
Founding Member
"It's uncompetitive" so is every bagging track since it promotes not going forward right away, we should also ban rDDD and dCL since half the room stops at the beginning, that's not competitive in a racing game.

So you're saying bagging is uncompetitive because you're not going forward at the beginning? Bagging is a viable strategy that requires decision making and game knowledge of how to balance catching up and not falling too far behind at the same time which is more competitive than everyone spamming lines going forward and seeing who can cheese the final shroom last set on lap3 rddd/dcl imo...

A good example of games banning maps would be call of duty only playing certain modes on certain maps which have the best competitive rhythm and viability. As for baby park, i wouldn't mind either way since its only a maximum of once per war which often wouldn't be the deciding result.

To anyone who thinks dbp is competitive in the slightest - Do you even play the game?

Nato

Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Founding Member
So you're saying bagging is uncompetitive because you're not going forward at the beginning? Bagging is a viable strategy that requires decision making and game knowledge of how to balance catching up and not falling too far behind at the same time which is more competitive than everyone spamming lines going forward and seeing who can cheese the final shroom last set on lap3 rddd/dcl imo...

A good example of games banning maps would be call of duty only playing certain modes on certain maps which have the best competitive rhythm and viability. As for baby park, i wouldn't mind either way since its only a maximum of once per war which often wouldn't be the deciding result.

To anyone who thinks dbp is competitive in the slightest - Do you even play the game?

What I'm getting at is that it's different from how the game is meant to be played, such as suicide bagging in mkw, it looks really dumb in most perspectives, but it's deemed "competitive" by the community, for whatever reason.

dBP is different in the way that it's just chaotic and you don't really know whats going on most of the time because literally anything can happen. Does that make the track bad? I don't think it does, and I don't think thats even a reason to ban it (Being chaotic).

Kay

Founding Member

GCN Baby Park is legitimately more competitive than SNES Donut Plains 3 and N64 Rainbow Road

Rookie

Staff member
Administrator
Media Staff
Founding Member
I was considering making a thread on this subject the last week but decided against it but I'm going to voice some unpopular input.

To start, I would be supportive of banning Baby Park from normal competitions.

A large majority of people disliking the track does not validate us banning a track. If everyone in the community hated Sunshine Airport it could just be a coincidence as well. It doesn't necessarily make it bannable. I'm pretty sure most people dislike Toad's Turnpike too, but I don't think we have a reason to ban it.

That being said, there is a legitimate argument in for banning Baby Park. It is different enough from the rest of the game that it can be categorized as not playing an ordinary meta that's essentially against the spirit of what we're even trying to promote. Wobbling is being discussed being banned in Melee (and it's long overdue) because the strategy pretty much devolves certain matchups in the game to be more focused on avoiding an exploit than it is playing the game, advantage, disadvantage, neutral, etc, normally.

I'd like to try to sway people away from describing tracks as "competitive" or "uncompetitive." You can play anything you want competitively. Poker is played competitively and the best players can't win 100% of the time even when outplaying their opponents. It's the same here. It's hypocritical to suggest that some tracks are uncompetitive when we play a heavily focused game on RNG to begin with.

That this is out of the way I think it's time to talk about the actual argument, that being that Baby Park simply is completely different from every track in the game to the point where there's questions on if there's any consistent strategy on outplaying an opponent. It's the only track in the game where it's practically impossible to discard green shells out of play, it's the only one that naturally puts you in overlapping situations, it makes pulling stars absurdly powerful, makes it possible to get backspammed or trolled in first, etc. I think it's an extremely valid argument that the track isn't something we see as desirable in our metagame, and by we, I mean everyone. And it's not really a matter of taste, or not even liking it, it's legitimately because the results feel more based on pure randomness than any skill or practice.

Nato may hate Ribbon Road, but even as a personal example it's my most practiced track and I've seen legitimately noticeable changes in my results on the track compared to others. We used to feel this way about DP3 in wars though we haven't picked it as much. Pierre / Pyrax won the last FFA together and they like picking DP3 as a strategy track as well. Though it's not really based on mastering driving a lot of the time, there's general plans that can be made on the track to lead to greater success. Clearly the practice gives a noticeable advantage. I believe most people don't see this with Baby Park compared to any other track in the game. For sure lines can help you in practice, but so much of this track is depenedent on not getting hit by shells bouncing everywhere or pulling a star late in the map over anything else that I feel a lot of time the practice doesn't always correlate to direct results. HD seems to win on dBP about as much as we do on the average track, but I guess our wins on this track have felt generally like we don't know how / why we won is the concern. I feel the justifcation for picking dBP for most people isn't that they're better than the norm on it. It's that it's more random in nature which can give them a higher chance at beating people better than them without putting work into actually improving. And I think this is a problematic ideology.

Maybe we're alone on this but I really think we aren't. If you want to complain about other tracks being feel free but please at least post a reason I think. From what I can see Baby Park is pretty much alone on how it operates compared to every single other track in the game and sometimes feels like playing a different game, and this is aside from any bias I would have for the track. I don't see a reason for us to be afraid of banning a track if the community at large feels genuinely about getting it out. I feel like our reason for keeping it in is more of an issue on whether or not banning a track is ethical than it is whether or not we think Baby Park belongs in the metagame. In this sense, we're debating the former when the issue is the latter.

---

I think there's more track issues to discuss. I was also considering discussing bagging tracks in FFA format but after watching the FFA last weekend I felt a little differently about it because it seemed the tracks like (rDDD, dCL, rMC, dYC) weren't actually being spammed for once. I know everyone's against me on this one, and I think maybe the tracks aren't even the problem but just the current metagame / players. FFAs are different than wars in the sense that spamming the shock feels way more common out of worry that someone else will get it. Our current metagame on this track generally results in the entire room concluding that frontrunning isn't worth it. What this means is like 2 or 3 people go forward and it becomes a different game than our normal meta like dBP does in every format. We have about 3/4 of the room getting power items and as a result we have more people in shock eligible territory and more different people with different interests getting the shock. Generally what seems to happen is sometimes there's 3 shocks per race and frequently 2 and it feels like that any legitimate strategy just gets thrown out the window because you can never tell if there's another shock and the results almost feel random as a result. The result is that playing on these tracks makes any given round generally makes the results more based on RNG / how many shocks appeared than it is actually trying to outplay people on these tracks.

I think it's perfectly valid to pick these tracks if it's just a confidence in your bagging abilities. One person told me last Solo Circuit they spam bagging tracks because "they're bad and need luck to increase their chances of winning" and even though I dislike the thought here, this was at least a legitimate reason to make the picks so I respect it. I've said many times before, but people just defaulting to these tracks whenever they don't get first is unhealthy for our metagame. These tracks are spammed for bad spots in wars because on a normal running track it's hard to break into a top 6. But in FFA everyones hitting everyone else anyway. You don't need bagging tracks to catch up. We're pretty much creating a meta where we prefer on rolling the dice than practicing tracks where we can get better driving skill.

Perhaps this is not a justifiable reason to ban tracks like these in FFA format, but I can say this: making a smaller track pool in this way would actually increase the track diversity in the matches. We'd probably start seeing more interesting stuff we don't see as much without the typical overcentralizing rDDD / dCL picks in matches. Players would have to be ready for new tracks they aren't used to and I think that's a good thing. It's a damn shame people in this community scoff at the idea of playing more than 20 tracks on the roster though, because practicing new stuff would be a way to diversify a somewhat stagnant meta at the moment.

------

I think we need to do something about race 1s in MKU. The only true RNG you can argue in matches is the track selection screen, and it's a huge problem right now. Especially since many teams are from one single nation where connection is faster between them. Pretty much right now the hosting team has a 50% chance to gain a huge advantage right off the bat (i.e. getting to play rWS top 4-6 race 1 without earning the spots through race wins). This is honestly a huge problem that I don't think people have even realized. I think we should seriously consider developing a "neutral start" list of legal tracks to pick from the first race. And this wouldn't include commonly polarizing options such as frequent frontrunning tracks or bagging tracks. Perhaps this would encourage people to try branching off to new stuff on race 1 too. Though it'd probably lead to just starting every war on Yoshi Valley. Better than having to rely on RNG gods to bail you out of starting bottom 6 on rWS / MW when your entire team joins at a reasonable time. Seriously look into this and developing a list of starters. Many of the polarizing options for stages in Smash games are barred to counterpicks of course.

Kay

Founding Member
That being said, there is a legitimate argument in for banning Baby Park. It is different enough from the rest of the game that it can be categorized as not playing an ordinary meta that's essentially against the spirit of what we're even trying to promote. Wobbling is being discussed being banned in Melee (and it's long overdue) because the strategy pretty much devolves certain matchups in the game to be more focused on avoiding an exploit than it is playing the game, advantage, disadvantage, neutral, etc, normally.

I don't really mind the whole thing about rDP3 but it honestly feels like a 50/50, depending if there is a shock or not and if you decided to run or bag.

However. N64 Rainbow Road falls into the same category as dBP if you argue in such a way. N64 Rainbow Road in itself is way different from any other course but that is also what makes it and Baby Park unique.
Hear me out here, N64 Rainbow Road has a few main issues:
- If you are in the back it is quite impossible to collect coins due to the fact that coins are being dropped off the train and will not respawn once taken besides maybe 2-3 spots (where the max. amount of coins you can pick up is 2, on top of that not all spots are early in the race).
- The first turn quite literally decides if you have a chance on winning the race or even getting a somewhat decent spot in the race depening if you get hit by some item first turn or not, sure you could argue that you can just avoid other peoples items, but lag-trails are not always avoidable.
- Since driving in MK8DX isn't as important as it was in MK8U coins are the main focus to being fast and they simply do not exist on that course in bottem spots.

Last edited:

Teeples

Site Supporter
Founding Member
Big brain plains too large brain for some peeps, ya hate to see it.

Jokes aside I'll gladly bring up these proposals to the staff of they aren't there already.

Rookie

Staff member
Administrator
Media Staff
Founding Member
I don't really mind the whole thing about rDP3 but it honestly feels like a 50/50, depending if there is a shock or not and if you decided to run or bag.

However. N64 Rainbow Road falls into the same category as dBP if you argue in such a way. N64 Rainbow Road in itself is way different from any other course but that is also what makes it and Baby Park unique.
Hear me out here, N64 Rainbow Road has a few main issues:
- If you are in the back it is quite impossible to collect coins due to the fact that coins are being dropped off the train and will not respawn once taken besides maybe 2-3 spots (where the max. amount of coins you can pick up is 2, on top of that not all spots are early in the race).
- The first turn quite literally decides if you have a chance on winning the race or even getting a somewhat decent spot in the race depening if you get hit by some item first turn or not, sure you could argue that you can just avoid other peoples items, but lag-trails are not always avoidable.
- Since driving in MK8DX isn't as important as it was in MK8U coins are the main focus to being fast and they simply do not exist on that course in bottem spots.

Yeah I think the question on many tracks is simply if there's multiple ways to win on it. I've said for a while that MW is pretty broken for coin collecting but it's not as bad as 64 RR I think, just picked more. You could argue having a discussion over it all but I think regardless to do either of these we'd need to at least have 2/3 people agreeing. I'm not sure if rRRd would be seen as potentially unplayable but I think it's definitely one of the worse tracks in the game in terms of being balanced for sure. Back when San had the WR and was active it seemed like it wasn't very beneficial to pick it for him in first also even when he had a good setup. It seemed somewhat random

---

Just to emphasize I think the "neutral start" thing I brought up addresses a large problem seem to be ignoring. MKU brought it up once but I think the idea was forgotten.

Nato

Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Yeah I think the question on many tracks is simply if there's multiple ways to win on it. I've said for a while that MW is pretty broken for coin collecting but it's not as bad as 64 RR I think, just picked more. You could argue having a discussion over it all but I think regardless to do either of these we'd need to at least have 2/3 people agreeing. I'm not sure if rRRd would be seen as potentially unplayable but I think it's definitely one of the worse tracks in the game in terms of being balanced for sure. Back when San had the WR and was active it seemed like it wasn't very beneficial to pick it for him in first also even when he had a good setup. It seemed somewhat random

---

Just to emphasize I think the "neutral start" thing I brought up addresses a large problem seem to be ignoring. MKU brought it up once but I think the idea was forgotten.

nah neutral start wasn't forgotten I had just brought it up after the season had started, so nothing could really be done yet

Jack

Site Supporter
Time for a controversial suggestions for Season 7 that can make Mario Kart Universal even better.

As rule 3.5, d
d. Players must use a Mii name which makes them easily recognizable as their alias on the MKCentral registry. Failure to do so will result in a -10 (-7 in a 5v5) points penalty for the match.

What I think this should be changed to, is
d. Players must use a Mii name that makes them easily recognizable as their alias in the community. For example, Z Daxx is Z Dxx (Not saying that would happen but just an example). Failure to do so will result in a -10 penalty (-7 in 5v5) in the match.

I think this change is needed because name changes can easily by MKU Staff, can be biased saying that name wasn't good enough. Having this would allow the other team to know what player it is, but not to the point where it's like you have no idea who it is. The current role I think can be abused by MKU Staff, you can call one person out on it and the other would get a slip bye.

Another example is, DY Togepi, the full name cannot be fit, and that doesn't get a penalty? That's just an example of how staff can be biased when it comes to making penalties.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c. Instances of lag will be evaluated and considered either Major or Minor offense by MKU staff. Major offenses will give 2 warning points and minor offenses will give 1 warning point. Accumulating warning points will have the following consequences:

- 1 warning point: player put on a private watchlist
- 2 warning points: player officially flagged and put on the public list of flagged players
- 4 warning points with at least one major offense: player banned from MKU

c. Instances of lag will be evaluated and considered either Major or Minor offence by MKU staff. Major offences will give 2 warning points and minor offences will give 1 warning point. Accumulating warning points will have the following consequences:

- 1 Warning Point: Player asked to sit out next MKU match for their respective team.
- 2 Warning Points: Player asked to sit out 5 matches and put on a private watch list.
- 4 Warning Points: Player must sit out the remainder of the season and put on a public watch list.
- 6 Warning Points: Player will be banned from playing in Mario Kart Universal.

The change is needed in my opinion, how is the player supposed to know when his internet is starting to lag. This new system with the sit outs and an extra fail safe with the 6 Warning Points allows the player a little more time to fix the lag and can still play in MKU.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ii. Banned players may only appeal once. If an appeal is rejected, the respective player will remain banned permanently. If an appeal is accepted and a player is unbanned, they regain the right to appeal once again in case of a future ban from MKU.

ii. Banned players may only appeal once, if the appeal is rejected they must wait 2 seasons of MKU to appeal again, if they get banned again if their appeal is accepted after the long wait. They will be banned perm.

This give players a chance to realize what they did wrong, such as custom music unaware of how it affects gameplay, or not being able to fix lag and thinking it was fixed so they played a match and got banned. This one is the most controversial but, I think it may be needed.

Jazzy

8va ~ Going the octave higher
Staff member
Administrator
Amplify Staff
Site Supporter
Founding Member
This isn't so much a rule change but rather a format modification:

I think each division should have a 3rd place match under the new format. Simply a match between the two losers of semifinals round. This is pretty traditional in single elimination brackets, to determine the 3rd podium spot. Currently only 1st vs 2nd are determined in the playoffs, while 3rd place vs 4th place is determined by regular season record. Personally I find this rather inconsistent, especially considering 3rd place is traditionally a podium finish.

Edit: another problem with the current way which determines 3rd vs 4th is that the two conferences are often unbalanced, which makes determining 3rd place based off regular season record possibly unfair/unbalanced.

Last edited: