Getting the "best" lines?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

boxrpete

Hey guys, first thread on this page. Just got myself MK8D and I had a question about getting the best lines. How do people generally go about finding out what the best lines are? Some things I've heard are:
1. Enter the corner wide then drift tight
2. Enter the corner tight then drift tight

Also I'm somewhat familiar with taking lines in racing, but not sure if that applies in Mario Kart. Like for example, if there is one turn ahead of you followed by a straightaway, its often better to turn late, hit the apex late, and allow yourself to straighten up faster in order to accelerate on the straightaway. But if the turn is followed by another turn or series of curves, then it doesn't matter as much. Is this same level of depth considered when people are trying to break WR's on tracks or is the general meta to just hug every corner possible when drifting. Hope I made sense & thanks in advance.

Jazzy

8va ~ Going the octave higher
Staff member
Administrator
Amplify Staff
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Welcome to the site @boxrpete!

Lines are definitely important in time trials, and also online to a lesser degree. In general, taking turns tight is best, but in 200cc you're often going so fast that you have to anticipate the upcoming turns and be ready to take them. The best way to find the best lines is to race ghosts, since you'll notice where you gain/lose on them. In addition, most tracks have their own peculiarities that you wouldn't find in a traditional "real" racing course. So it's important to learn each course separately to get the best times.

TheKoopaGuy

Site Supporter
Founding Member
As a general rule, whether you start tight or wide depends on whether you can squeeze out a higher tier MT or not.
But yeah, watch the WRs and wars fro specifics