John Slater

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JPGivin'er

Media Staff
Site Supporter
Since how much has changed for me over the past two years, I've been wanting to be more outspoken and show people the person I've always wanted to be. This is where I want to start.

Introduction

Welcome to my player hub! This is the place where you'll see me givin' er full throttle the most in a Mario Kart atmosphere. I've been in this community for about 6 years now. I've been all over the place regarding my status in this community as of more recently, but rest assured there is a very, VERY significant reason why. It is the sole reason why I work my ass off every single day to become the absolute best version of myself, regardless of where I'm at. Just below this introduction you can see for yourself what I have been working on for the last two years as well as some other information pertaining to me.

Entering Grade 10 (a little over 2.5 years ago as of the day this thread was made), I was at the worst point of my life physically and mentally. I wanted to be like everyone else, I wanted to put on a face to impress others, I wanted to put myself in a situation where I could sit back and relax for the rest of my life with no repercussions. I soon got a reality check when my final grades came in after my first semester. By failing to apply myself and allowing myself to get consumed by hobbies that were meaningless towards my future, I ended with a 78% average. This really took a toll on my mental state and I felt like I had nothing left in the tank.

Beyond my lack of effort in school, I lacked physical will to an even higher degree. At my highest, I weighed approximately 220 pounds and felt like a burden to society. I hated myself and my body. I wasn't willing to put in the effort to change my life at all. I spoiled myself after school every day, and when I got to my room I jumped in bed with a frown on my face because I didn't feel like I was worth anything. It was the worst time of my life by far.

In June of 2018, I got a membership at GoodLife Fitness. I wasn't expecting much given my physical and mental state but my mom strongly urged me to just move, so I tried it out. The first three weeks sucked, as one would expect, but at the end of the month my life changed forever. It's like I saw a number and at that instant my entire life did a 180. I lost 15 pounds that month. Ever since then, I made it my mission to work my ass off every single day to become the best version of myself. It took some time for me to truly realize my potential, but when I did, I made the most of it. My lowest weight after beginning my journey was 147 pounds, so I've lost 73 pounds. As of now I'm comfortably sitting at 155 pounds.

What I didn't realize was how impactful stepping on the scale at the end of June was on my entire life. Grade 11 was a solid start, ending with an 87% average. I was so proud of myself, but also disappointed at the same time (in a good way, as this became a motivator). Going into Grade 12, the most important school year of my life, I was locked and loaded. I knew that this was the year that will dictate my future. And I treated it as such all the way up until now. I ended my first semester with a 93% average. I went from a 78% to a 93% average in two years. I've been saying this for a long time now, my school transformation is much more impressive than my physical transformation (that's not to discredit my fitness, it served as a catalyst for my transformation in the classroom). Beyond my final average in the first semester of Grade 12, I had an emotional breakdown one day. On February 18 this year, I got an email that made me realize how hard I worked in the past two years. I got accepted into one of the most prestigious programs at Wilfred Laurier University. The double degree "Business Administration & Financial Mathematics" had a minimum admission range of low 90's and an average admission range of mid 90's. I also learned that only an eighth of the people who apply for that program get in. My initial thoughts on this program when applying to Universities was that I would apply because why not, I did not expect to get in at all. But when I got that email, my jaw dropped. I almost cried when I first read it in school. That goes to show you what hard work, effort, dedication and drive can do for you. My outlook on life itself changed forever when I got that email.

Nowadays, I make it my mission to do whatever it takes to become the best version of myself. That will never change. I have big plans pertaining to my future and I plan to do everything in my power to execute these plans. I'm a completely different person now than two years ago. Waking up a minute before Team World vs. Team Japan because Mario Kart was that important to me just to completely deadweight and score 39, allowing others to take advantage of me because of my lack of self respect, and more than ever just trying to be like someone else rather than myself, most notably with my MarioKartCinema videos. Those days are over, and they will remain over. You may not recognized my new self on Discord over the last two years, but now you know who I am.

I am John Slater.

MKU History

Mario Kart 8
Preseason - [λ'] Asteroid - Division 6 - 2nd Place
Season 3 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 2 - 2nd Place
Season 4 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 2nd Place
Season 5 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 4th Place
Season 6 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 5th Place
Season 7 - xı - Division 1 - 3rd Place
Season 8 - xı - Division 1 - 2nd Place

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Season 1 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 2 - 1st Place
Season 2 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 5th Place
Season 3 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 2nd Place
Season 4 - [Z★] Zealous - Division 1 - 1st Place
Season 6 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 3rd Place
Season 7 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 1st Place
Season 8 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 2nd Place
Season 10 - [ARC] Arcadia Sky - Division 1 - 7th Place

Twitter
YouTube
Discord - Slater#1249

I'll be replying to this thread regularly with new shit on my end in the future, mostly YouTube videos when my new capture card arrives. Truth is, every time I've tried to make content I was never being myself. THAT is the reason why my commentary videos, especially those on MarioKartCinema, were cringe and unwatchable for the most part. Maybe I'm discrediting myself too much but I hold myself to a really high standard nowadays. You can expect content of me expressing my BEST self without holding back one bit! Keep on givin' er there bud!​

Last edited:

Nato

Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Founding Member
sOzffFa.png

Royal

SUMMIT Staff
Event Organizer
Media Staff
Founding Member
Since how much has changed for me over the past two years, I've been wanting to be more outspoken and show people the person I've always wanted to be. This is where I want to start.

Introduction

Welcome to my player hub! This is the place where you'll see me givin' er full throttle the most in a Mario Kart atmosphere. I've been in this community for about 6 years now. I've been all over the place regarding my status in this community as of more recently, but rest assured there is a very, VERY significant reason why. It is the sole reason why I work my ass off every single day to become the absolute best version of myself, regardless of where I'm at. Just below this introduction you can see for yourself what I have been working on for the last two years as well as some other information pertaining to me.

Entering Grade 10 (a little over 2.5 years ago as of the day this thread was made), I was at the worst point of my life physically and mentally. I wanted to be like everyone else, I wanted to put on a face to impress others, I wanted to put myself in a situation where I could sit back and relax for the rest of my life with no repercussions. I soon got a reality check when my final grades came in after my first semester. By failing to apply myself and allowing myself to get consumed by hobbies that were meaningless towards my future, I ended with a 78% average. This really took a toll on my mental state and I felt like I had nothing left in the tank.

Beyond my lack of effort in school, I lacked physical will to an even higher degree. At my highest, I weighed approximately 220 pounds and felt like a burden to society. I hated myself and my body. I wasn't willing to put in the effort to change my life at all. I spoiled myself after school every day, and when I got to my room I jumped in bed with a frown on my face because I didn't feel like I was worth anything. It was the worst time of my life by far.

In June of 2018, I got a membership at GoodLife Fitness. I wasn't expecting much given my physical and mental state but my mom strongly urged me to just move, so I tried it out. The first three weeks sucked, as one would expect, but at the end of the month my life changed forever. It's like I saw a number and at that instant my entire life did a 180. I lost 15 pounds that month. Ever since then, I made it my mission to work my ass off every single day to become the best version of myself. It took some time for me to truly realize my potential, but when I did, I made the most of it. My lowest weight after beginning my journey was 147 pounds, so I've lost 73 pounds. As of now I'm comfortably sitting at 155 pounds.

What I didn't realize was how impactful stepping on the scale at the end of June was on my entire life. Grade 11 was a solid start, ending with an 87% average. I was so proud of myself, but also disappointed at the same time (in a good way, as this became a motivator). Going into Grade 12, the most important school year of my life, I was locked and loaded. I knew that this was the year that will dictate my future. And I treated it as such all the way up until now. I ended my first semester with a 93% average. I went from a 78% to a 93% average in two years. I've been saying this for a long time now, my school transformation is much more impressive than my physical transformation (that's not to discredit my fitness, it served as a catalyst for my transformation in the classroom). Beyond my final average in the first semester of Grade 12, I had an emotional breakdown one day. On February 18 this year, I got an email that made me realize how hard I worked in the past two years. I got accepted into one of the most prestigious programs at Wilfred Laurier University. The double degree "Business Administration & Financial Mathematics" had a minimum admission range of low 90's and an average admission range of mid 90's. I also learned that only an eighth of the people who apply for that program get in. My initial thoughts on this program when applying to Universities was that I would apply because why not, I did not expect to get in at all. But when I got that email, my jaw dropped. I almost cried when I first read it in school. That goes to show you what hard work, effort, dedication and drive can do for you. My outlook on life itself changed forever when I got that email.

Nowadays, I make it my mission to do whatever it takes to become the best version of myself. That will never change. I have big plans pertaining to my future and I plan to do everything in my power to execute these plans. I'm a completely different person now than two years ago. Waking up a minute before Team World vs. Team Japan because Mario Kart was that important to me just to completely deadweight and score 39, allowing others to take advantage of me because of my lack of self respect, and more than ever just trying to be like someone else rather than myself, most notably with my MarioKartCinema videos. Those days are over, and they will remain over. You may not recognized my new self on Discord over the last two years, but now you know who I am.

I am John Slater.

MKU History

Mario Kart 8
Preseason - [λ'] Asteroid - Division 6 - 2nd Place
Season 3 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 2 - 2nd Place
Season 4 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 2nd Place
Season 5 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 4th Place
Season 6 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 5th Place
Season 7 - xı - Division 1 - 3rd Place
Season 8 - xı - Division 1 - 2nd Place

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Season 1 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 2 - 1st Place
Season 2 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 5th Place
Season 3 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 2nd Place
Season 4 - [Z★] Zealous - Division 1 - 1st Place
Season 6 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 3rd Place
Season 7 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 1st Place
Season 8 - [ÐVP] Divine Phoenix - Division 1 - 2nd Place
Season 10 - [ARC] Arcadia Sky - TBD

Twitter
YouTube - coming soon! (I already have one, technically a couple, but I'm startin fresh as I haven't made a video post-transformation)
Discord - Slater#1249

I'll be replying to this thread regularly with new shit on my end in the future, mostly YouTube videos when my new capture card arrives. Truth is, every time I've tried to make content I was never being myself. THAT is the reason why my commentary videos, especially those on MarioKartCinema, were cringe and unwatchable for the most part. Maybe I'm discrediting myself too much but I hold myself to a really high standard nowadays. You can expect content of me screwing around completely unfiltered, having a good time and most importantly, being myself. Keep on givin' er there bud.​

🔍

JPGivin'er

Media Staff
Site Supporter
YouTube coming soon. I mean hey if 2 months is soon then sure, go with it pal. @Slater

I finally uploaded my first video! I learned a lot while editing this and I plan to keep learning how to make my content better, one video at a time! In this video I analyze 3 6v6 races. Unlike most analytical videos, I don't hold back on criticizing MYSELF since the first step to improving is holding yourself accountable for your misplays. I actually played a war today after editing my video and I felt like I played a lot better! I'm honestly so happy with how this video turned out, take a look!

JPGivin'er

Media Staff
Site Supporter
Grinded out another video! I fixed the audio as best as I could from the last video, so hopefully this sounds a bit better! In this video, I'll show you how to optimize the golden mushroom in the best way possible on all of the nitro tracks!

I'm taking a break from grinding today since I've been givin' er FULL throttle this past weekend. I plan on starting my next video tomorrow! If you have any suggestions on what kind of content I could make or how to generally improve my videos, let me know! I'm SO excited to see where I can take this and I appreciate all of you for taking the time to watch my videos!

JPGivin'er

Media Staff
Site Supporter
Going beyond Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with this video! In this Mario Maker 2 video, I take on one of the best kaizo levels in the game: "Terminator" by Barb!

This video should show you that whether my videos are scripted or not, I always know how to express my BEST self! Take a look!

JPGivin'er

Media Staff
Site Supporter

I decided to bunch these videos in a spoiler because for the next few years I'll be making next to no Mario Kart videos. Recently I realized what I was truly passionate about, which is becoming an: Inspirational Speaker

I've dropped a few motivational/inspirational tweets over the last two years, but speaking was never something I saw myself doing for a living. Even if it takes longer than expected to make a career out of it, it's something I'm going to work towards for my early adult years! This is my first speech:

My hope is to have my second speech out before the end of this week, but I delayed the release of my first speech to make it the absolute best it could be, and I plan to do the same with this speech if necessary. I also didn't expect to have a 2-3 week gap between these two speeches, so I'll be recording some mini-speeches (quick videos to pump you up) to fill in the gap between speeches.

I hope my videos can inspire you to work towards becoming the best version of yourself!