Mindset

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gooey

Founding Member
Obviously everyone here is better than the average player and I've asked some people already but I'd still like to hear from more. What is your usual mindset for when you go into a WW, War, or just Lounge. What is your main focus when playing. I don't really know how else to ask that without expecting an obvious answer.

Reactions: ndt

Félix

Founding Member
It's a good question in my opinion.

In clanwars: I always try to focus on the future rather than the past, and ask my teammates to do so too. Focussing on how lucky was a team or a player won't bring anything good to the team, so between races and after wars, we prefer to discuss about our mistakes (and how to dodge them in the future). Also, preventing spots during races is way more useful for the team instead of complaining about 5 seconds how you got "smartbounced" by a random green shell.

Other mindsets I suggest for clanwars:
- A team cannot be always lucky, and neither always badlucky.
- A clanwar is way more skilled based than luck/item based: otherwise, the best teams would not win almost everytime.

In lounge: If you want a better rank, you must learn to adapt to any voted formats (FFA, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 6v6). It's also very easy to lose self-control due to how unfair can these rooms be sometimes, but every races is new and last 3 races can do a major difference in standings, so in ELOs. Something I've seen often too is players disrespecting their own teammates due to not bringing a lot of points, which is never good for a team, so I'd recommend always encourage your teammates, no matter who they are.

Other mindsets I suggest for lounge:
- If you can't carry rooms in a specific rank/tier you are currently in, it's because you deserve this rank/tier.
- If you keep declining playing in a specific format or in a lower tier because "dumb players spam everything", then it just shows that you are unable to adapt your playstyle, which is a weakness form in MK8d.

In worldwides: VRs are useless, and don't show anything on a given player. Playing intentionally in lower VRs room to get more VRs in less time won't make you a better player.

Last edited:

Gooey

Founding Member
I seriously appreciate this post. Literally finding out anything I can to become a better player at this point. Very helpful!

Teeples

Site Supporter
Founding Member
Felix covered all the main basis.

Couple other things from lots of experience I'd like to add as well.

It will sound cliche as well but for wars assuming you are talking on a mic that is, the power of positivity is insane. I've seen it happen to almost every team, where someone in the call will start tilting or being negative and it will spread across the whole call and make the team product overall worse as a result. Knowing how to communicate effectively and getting yourself and other people off tilt and keeping a positive vibe in the call helps the team perform better and also makes the game for fun.

Obviously, no one is perfect, I myself are from it but I can say with utmost confidence all of the best wars my teams have produced over the years have been when we have managed this 12/12 races.

Another important mindset to have in wars is that being at the front isn't always the best. Sometimes the better play you can make is not trying to be at the front yourself but keeping others back. Stopping with triple reds/plants (jumping in cuts with them even) etc. to keep the opponents back and let your other team members have an easier time is really effective. This isn't something that is a golden ticket, however, and if you do it poorly is most likely will have a negative outcome. Plays like these are very situational and you'll just kinda figure out when it works and when it doesn't with experience.

Once you have solid driving lines down, don't have to be the fastest player, having a strong mentality and being smart with your items are what will help you out a lot more in a team and individual sense. rather than trying to cut off that extra 1-2 seconds on your Times.

Positioning yourself is the most important thing in the lounge in my opinion, although I haven't played it much so can't really back that up. But finishing top spots consistently and sometimes playing from the back isn't a bad idea. Getting that +12/10/9 consistently seems a lot safer than trying to get that +15 and getting blued or something than get +2.

I don't play WWs much or take them very seriously, so I can't really comment on them but would probably play the way I would in FFA lounges, just playing smart and spacing myself from everyone.

EDIT: Great thread idea by the way. It's refreshing to see someone newer to the scene asking questions like this.

Last edited:

Gooey

Founding Member
Felix covered all the main basis.

Couple other things from lots of experience I'd like to add as well.

It will sound cliche as well but for wars assuming you are talking on a mic that is, the power of positivity is insane. I've seen it happen to almost every team, where someone in the call will start tilting or being negative and it will spread across the whole call and make the team product overall worse as a result. Knowing how to communicate effectively and getting yourself and other people off tilt and keeping a positive vibe in the call helps the team perform better and also makes the game for fun.

Obviously, no one is perfect, I myself are from it but I can say with utmost confidence all of the best wars my teams have produced over the years have been when we have managed this 12/12 races.

Another important mindset to have in wars is that being at the front isn't always the best. Sometimes the better play you can make is not trying to be at the front yourself but keeping others back. Stopping with triple reds/plants (jumping in cuts with them even) etc. to keep the opponents back and let your other team members have an easier time is really effective. This isn't something that is a golden ticket, however, and if you do it poorly is most likely will have a negative outcome. Plays like these are very situational and you'll just kinda figure out when it works and when it doesn't with experience.

Once you have solid driving lines down, don't have to be the fastest player, having a strong mentality and being smart with your items are what will help you out a lot more in a team and individual sense. rather than trying to cut off that extra 1-2 seconds on your Times.

Positioning yourself is the most important thing in the lounge in my opinion, although I haven't played it much so can't really back that up. But finishing top spots consistently and sometimes playing from the back isn't a bad idea. Getting that +12/10/9 consistently seems a lot safer than trying to get that +15 and getting blued or something than get +2.

I don't play WWs much or take them very seriously, so I can't really comment on them but would probably play the way I would in FFA lounges, just playing smart and spacing myself from everyone.

EDIT: Great thread idea by the way. It's refreshing to see someone newer to the scene asking questions like this.

Whoa! That's alot of very useful information! Much appreciated as well. Mostly was looking for ways to improve in a team setting but was also looking for overall mindsets as well or just things to keep in mind. Finding the information without help is very very hard and I just decided to ask the community instead. This is all seriously very helpful to me, thank you!

DUGO

vox populi
Staff member
Media Staff
Founding Member
Felix and Teeples both made very, very good posts, just want to add something to this part in particular:

It will sound cliche as well but for wars assuming you are talking on a mic that is, the power of positivity is insane.

This part is super underrated, because not only it makes wars more fun while giving better results, but it makes teams live longer in general; no one wants to be in a team where wars always have someone getting mad and raging, and no one wants you to be that one teammate causing displeasure to the clan. I have already seen people solo-making other players leave clans and avoid saying can for wars because of how they act while playing. I personally try not to complain ever and rather joke around as much as I can (while keeping the atmosphere serious at the same time as much as I can, I don't want it to be distracting for the team) so that everyone enjoys their time and maybe even laughs at their own bad luck rather than shouting at it. I honestly don't consider myself a strong player but I know that supporting the team in a game like this is very important and moral support is also key to success.

While I am it, I will add that constantly avoiding the better teams (looking at you, D8-D11 wars) is detrimental towards a team's longevity as well. Not saying you have to war D1 teams all the time, in my opinion even once every 10-15 wars should be fine, because you learn by playing the better players; only warring teams that are on your same level or worse won't make you better and will make you get used to your mistakes, because you will think in the end they don't matter and if you lose it is just bad luck (spoiler: it isn't). The better players in your team will slowly but surely get bored of that kind of pace and leave for stronger teams and before you notice it your team either dies, goes inactive or changes to the point it doesn't feel like home anymore for those that do stay.

Gooey

Founding Member
I've been in to many clans with negative atmosphere. It's honestly discouraging and alot more defeating when you lose a war, the call is very tense and one teammate is complaining. I've definitely dropped out of comp completely because of it before, but I haven't ever been in a team without a toxic person. It just goes hand in hand with comp.

Rookie

Staff member
Administrator
Media Staff
Founding Member
Not going to do an all defining post here but highlight a few points brought up already and maybe add a few of my own. First part will mainly just be straight up true things, which are known simply because of probability laws, mostly discussing FFA format. Second part is mainly about team mentality

- Consistent luck does not exist, as well as the concept of lucky players. If players appear more lucky than others, this must be because of something they are doing differently than you, intentionally or possibly unintentionally. You have the same game as them, with the same opportunities. Unless the game has been modified, that is, you need to consider that perhaps their approach to the game rewards them more. Luck will always even out over a decent amount of games played. For every game with ridiculous luck, you'll likely have one with terrible bad luck. If you believe you're getting more bad luck than good, it's probably a result of your playstyle/skill, and that itself is just not luck. A lot of it may come down to not capitalizing on the opportunities you do get.

- Like Felix said, in the lounge setting, if you are unable to carry teams in the tier you're currently in, you probably have hit your current ceiling. Like mentioned above, the good/bad luck will cancel out to a medium point. If you're carrying the tier, you'll get results above the medium and move up. The higher above the medium you are, the faster you're likely going to move up your tier than a player who is worse than you but still better than the same tier.

- Your frontrunning skill is not your skill. This is honestly a harmful mindset to have. People need to realize that there is more to the game than how fast you are or sometimes are, and it doesn't mean anything if you don't have good consistency and strategy. Perhaps take on new opponents and study strategy of players who are getting better results than you. Really think about how optimal ways to use items instead of getting rid of them immediately

- Random worldwides are best for staying fresh at best and minimizing driving mistakes you'll make. VR can be seen as a milestone, but it's not really impressive to hit the max.

I'm personally the rare person who doesn't really believe that tilt is a major factor in how games play out. It can be a factor, but it's entirely possible that the best team in the world could just scream in call all war and still perform well if they're just that much better than the opponents. I would say tilt is more of a long term problem. It'll make team matches uncomfortable for sure, and make people not want to play with each other personally. Rage is understandable, especially in FFA, but if you're going to actually let it affect your thoughts in the next race, you're probably mentally weak in honesty.

TLDR; - If you're blaming the game for your shortcomings instead of studying them you're not going to improve.

------------------------------------

I think there's a lot of simple things that can be done in a teams environment to improve that doesn't even have to do with natural talent at the game. On a more personal note, I think my current team HD is one of the best coordinated teams in the community now, and I think it's given us an opportunity to place better in events than many players outside our team who are on a similar skill level to us. In MK7 it's really possible we had better players than now, but our communication is better now, and I think it makes for a more rewarding experience overall as a player. A lot of this stuff is hard to set up in many different teams, because there are a lot of egos to go around, and I understand that for some teams recruiting specific players is necessary to improve if they'd be one of the best on your team. But these players can't be selfish or you probably won't gain any lasting effects I think.

For us, there are a few things that are expectations to play for us in any deep tournament match that we acknowledge and follow, including some of the following.

- Before even the match stuff, it's expected that members speak in the chat outside of matches. This is pretty much so instead of just being teammates, everyone is comfortable and friendly with each other. No tension between players.
- Players expected to mic generally, and work at developing synergy together. Realize that calling means constant good communication. Environment is currently in a state where nobody rages. It wouldn't be accepted to make the call genuinely uncomfortable. Ragequitting probably going to result in a kick, especially since it's always an incredibly selfish move
- People gotta realize that nobody cares about indivs whatsoever. People are expected to make selfless moves if it's optimal for the team, even if it doesn't see a direct benefit to their point score. This is a pretty easy one, but it's worth stating because it's one of the hardest to truly form a team out of. You need to get a full lineup at the end of the day who is willing to do anything for the team's success
- People realize that teamrape happens on accident. It's ridiculous to think that your teammates are intentionally taking you out, so instead of bitching about who it was to hit you instead move on. It's courteous to apologize anyway between races if you messed up a teammate and know it of course though. Like with the first point, teamrape blame won't happen as much if the members are all friends to begin with and respect each other
- Communicate what goes wrong after races / matches, talk about future strategy
- Have fun of course and enjoy your teammates and matches, it's what you play for. Enjoy the progression

I believe this should be a set of goals for most teams to get to their best potential. There's usually always something you can do to improve. Should always be talking to members to try to figure out how to make this happen.

TLDR; - Pretty much go into teams thinking about what you can do for the team to help instead of thinking about what the team can do for you

may continue to update this if i think of stuff i just forgot for no reason

Last edited:

Owen

Don't know how useful or how much this makes sense i'm not the best option for this since i'm at a poor standard but know enough to actually find a way to grind out something half decent on a personal standpoint.
Pretty much my way is from my performances when I played in world cup to how I would normally go around when playing with DY or scrims with UK where I did much better then what I did in wc.
World cup my mindset changed a lot going into matches that I did play this year and I feel like now when I think about it more it really affected the way I played compare the way I go into stuff now pointing out early this does not like go into matches where I was being casted it also was ones outside I only helped with a pov if they needed one for match. A way is I put too much pressure on myself to actually go out and show that I can compete on a main stage which ended up bringing up a lot of nerves during the races itself eve if I didn't want to admit or feel like that I would be calm before the war started but once it actually did my hands where all over the place and I wasn't thinking clearly as to what I should be doing or how I should take a situation my main focus was getting up there as quickly as possible which led to me rushing through decisions which looking back I shouldn't have done some moments were unlucky but if I go look back on them the DDD green on the line for example I aligned wrongly with the ramp thinking I was really safe in 1st but I ended up leaving my side really open for me to get sniped there and it led to that was also not using my rear view mirror as I would normally do things like that.

Other side of story this is where I normally lead to somehow scoring somewhere decent so 80+ mark is normally my mind is pretty clear going into a scrim war I just chill myself out not think much about anything and just go with the flow so I would normally not talk too much try remain focused but I would call out all the important stuff like what other team has around me all that stuff, what this does is just allows me to remain focused end up thinking more clearly about what I'm doing how I want to play a situation and have more awareness on whats going on around me where if I was playing nervously it would lead me to tilt pretty easily honestly which also would affect how I would play it wouldn't come out in call would just be in my head. With lounge and worldwides I normally have same thing where I just playing because I feel like it and have nothing else to do really so mindset is never really different with either just where I don't really care whats happening at all and just play obviously trying to win like when I have a teammate but I just don't care too much in the most positive way saying it possible.
I don't know how much of this makes sense I hope I made it kinda easy to understand having different mindsets for things can really affect you anything you want to ask just reply

Neo

Founding Member
I know what I'm going to say is ridiculous compared to the encyclopedias written before, but honestly I just play as best as I can every war and complain when I get hit :whistle:
Just try to record your wars so you can see what do you need to practice. If you can ask another (a better?) player to watch the replay with you he would be able to help you figuring out what to improve.