MK8DX Booster Pass Abbreviations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vike

Staff member
Administrator
Site Developer
Site Supporter
lounge in 2021: go rws :TheTman:

lounge in 2022: go bRRrgt7s2 :TheTman:
Using amber and Rookie's suggestions the longest it could possibly get is 5 letters and that will only happen in two scenarios:
1. We get BC1, BC2, or BC3 from both SNES and GBA. I think this is unlikely since if even we get a BC from both games it will probably be different numbers. This would cause acronyms bBC1s and bBC1a.
2. We get BC from N64 and also from one of GCN, DS, Wii, or 3DS. I think this is likely and so this would mean the only 5 letter acronym would be bBC64.

Every other acronym would be 4 letters or less.

Grimm

Dancing in your nightmares
MKU Staff
Media Staff
Site Supporter
As many stated before, I believe b should probably be the prefix for all tracks. It would be very uniform, and realistically many of the tracks that have duplicate names will get nicknames by the community (take a look at the RRs: Spacebow, Trainbow, SNESbow) So when calling it out in war calls, it is very possible these nicknames are what is used. Using the console it came from as the prefix instead of b (N64 or 64, w, ds, etc) makes it a little unintuitive as a new player coming in January of 2024 essentially needs to learn 48 tracks and what game they came from, but the original 48 have something completely different. We get BC from N64 and also from one of GCN, DS, Wii, or 3DS. I think this is likely and so this would mean the only 5 letter acronym would be bBC64.
2. We get BC from N64 and also from one of GCN, DS, Wii, or 3DS. I think this is likely and so this would mean the only 5 letter acronym would be bBC64.
The fact only 1 track in the game is even likely to cause an issue with it being 5 letters should be treated as a non issue. When there will be 96 tracks to pick from for a 12 race war, the likeliness that it is picked just based off of random chance is 1/8. I would argue that it is probably lower because the community will be using the original 48 more on average.
bBC / bLM are completely fine. if people get weird about it, tell them to grow up and move on. ban quickly. don't tolerate that garbage.
I 100% agree with amber here. maybe not on the ban part, but overall we should just not worry about maturity when discussing this. At the end of the day, we care about what goes in toadbot.
bBW (Banshee Boardwalk) - I shouldn't have to explain this one. We DO NOT want the younger members of the community googling the Banshee Boardwalk world record only to come across something entirely different.
As far as I'm aware, we don't search up mario kart tracks randomly on the internet if we are in this community, and furthermore not using the shorthand of it.
GCN Mario Circuit - bMaC
GCN Mushroom City - bMuC
This is how it is in the original game, similar to rRRd and rRRy, so I don't think there should be much, if any, blowback.

Rookie

Staff member
Administrator
Media Staff
Founding Member
Using amber and Rookie's suggestions the longest it could possibly get is 5 letters and that will only happen in two scenarios:
1. We get BC1, BC2, or BC3 from both SNES and GBA. I think this is unlikely since if even we get a BC from both games it will probably be different numbers. This would cause acronyms bBC1s and bBC1a.

Every other acronym would be 4 letters or less.

nah you forgot that they could just bring back DKJP and that's enough on its own without conflict

SuperFX

Founding Member
Honestly why not just have prefixes based on pack waves?

ex:
b1PP - Paris Promenade (Booster Wave 1 Track)
b2WC - Wario's Colosseum (Booster Wave 2 Track please for the love of god put this in)

I feel like most of the conflict here is the fact that we'll have 48 new tracks with potentially the same acronyms, so distinguishing based on waves could resolve it (can also make it so looking up the tracks for wars would be much easier).

Rookie

Staff member
Administrator
Media Staff
Founding Member

ex:
b2WC - Wario's Colosseum (Booster Wave 2 Track please for the love of god put this in)

I feel like most of the conflict here is the fact that we'll have 48 new tracks with potentially the same acronyms, so distinguishing based on waves could resolve it (can also make it so looking up the tracks for wars would be much easier).

Just wait for the Spiny Shell Cup to be GCN RR, DS RR, Wii RR, and 3DS RR though

Grimm

MKU Staff
Media Staff
Site Supporter

ex:

I mean I do not hate it, but it will end up with a lot of tracks being 5 letters long, and I believe that is somewhat long for toadbot, and again toadbot is really the only thing where this conversation truly matters

SuperFX

Founding Member
I mean I do not hate it, but it will end up with a lot of tracks being 5 letters long, and I believe that is somewhat long for toadbot, and again toadbot is really the only thing where this conversation truly matters
Everyone (including toadbot) matters in this conversation. Most of us (time trialers especially) don't use toadbot when describing what track we're talking about in conversations. I'm all for any other alternatives, but at this point, with 48 new tracks in 6 waves, it's going to be a nightmare discerning which track is which (let alone perhaps a new track duplicates a previous track's acronym that we already decided on). That's mainly why the b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, and b6 acronyms are the reason why I suggested this. When the new DLC came out for 8U in 2015, we as a community decided on using the acronym "d" to remove any confusion from any of the previous nitro and retro courses. We decided on all of the track acronyms at once knowing that there won't be any duplicates afterward. Similarly, for set booster pack waves, we can decide on acronyms for the tracks all at once (b1 for instance right now), so we don't have to go through a headache renaming all of the previous tracks again.

FINAL EDIT: added on some detail for clarity

Last edited:

Grimm

MKU Staff
Media Staff
Site Supporter
Everyone (including toadbot) matters in this conversation. Most of us (time trialers especially) don't use toadbot when describing what track we're talking about in conversations. I'm all for any other alternatives, but at this point, with 48 new tracks in 6 waves, it's going to be a nightmare discerning which track is which (let alone perhaps a new track duplicates a previous track's acronym that we already decided on).
That's fair, I am not an avid tt'er so I did not see it from that perspective. I will say, though, I don't think any way we do it will benefit all, and someone will get screwed out. It is 48 freaking tracks. I like the a b c stated above, as it allows for some reset on duplicate tracks. If a whole rainbow road cup is added, however, it will all go out the window. I feel like the community needs to not only somewhat agree on a prefix, but also figure out what ALL possible tracks should be named, so there is no retconning track names due to a track with the same abbreviation being added in.

Jazzy

8va ~ Going the octave higher
Staff member
Administrator
Amplify Staff
Site Supporter
Founding Member
That's fair, I am not an avid tt'er so I did not see it from that perspective. I will say, though, I don't think any way we do it will benefit all, and someone will get screwed out. It is 48 freaking tracks. I like the a b c stated above, as it allows for some reset on duplicate tracks. If a whole rainbow road cup is added, however, it will all go out the window. I feel like the community needs to not only somewhat agree on a prefix, but also figure out what ALL possible tracks should be named, so there is no retconning track names due to a track with the same abbreviation being added in.

a/b/c is more to remember cause you have to remember which of the 3 to use. Using b for all is not as bad as that, since any suffix/etc would be an exception, not the rule to remember.

SuperFX

Founding Member
Personally, I actually don't see the issue with a cup being entirely rainbow roads when it comes to naming conventions. Take for instance RR MKWii, RR MK7, RR GBA, and RR DD are all released for booster pack 4. We can then put something like...

b4RRw
b4RR7
b4RRg
b4RRd

Of course, these acronyms are just something I came up with within 1 minute. We can perfect them later. The point is that we can decide on these acronyms right now as we know the tracks at hand, and then we won't have to worry about changing the acronyms later if another track has a similar acronym announced later. (If they added DS Rainbow Road in booster wave 5 for instance, we'd just make the name b5RR. No need for more add-ons).

Jazzy

Staff member
Administrator
Amplify Staff
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Personally, I actually don't see the issue with a cup being entirely rainbow roads when it comes to naming conventions. Take for instance RR MKWii, RR MK7, RR GBA, and RR DD are all released for booster pack 4. We can then put something like...

b4RRw
b4RR7
b4RRg
b4RRd

Of course, these acronyms are just something I came up with within 1 minute. We can perfect them later. The point is that we can decide on these acronyms right now as we know the tracks at hand, and then we won't have to worry about changing the acronyms later if another track has a similar acronym announced later. (If they added DS Rainbow Road in booster wave 5 for instance, we'd just make the name b5RR. No need for more add-ons)
The numbers are needlessly redundant here.

If you have a conflict in the same wave (......b1CMx), then it adds no value.

If you have a conflict in different waves, you're still adding a number you have to remember, instead of a letter (but it may be less intuitive to know the waves rather than the games the few conflicting tracks come from).

Not to mention, you're adding an extra digit to every single abbreviation for very little gain and only more to memorize.

Grimm

MKU Staff
Media Staff
Site Supporter
a/b/c is more to remember cause you have to remember which of the 3 to use. Using b for all is not as bad as that, since any suffix/etc would be an exception, not the rule to remember.
I will argue that it is only more to remember for the new players joining in like a year. We will all get 3 months to really get down 2 cups worth of tracks, and then cycle through those. I personally think a blanket use of b is the best, but the second best idea I have seen is the a b c one, as it only adds one letter.

SuperFX

Founding Member
The numbers are needlessly redundant here.

If you have a conflict in the same wave (......b1CMx), then it adds no value.

If you have a conflict in different waves, you're still adding a number you have to remember, instead of a letter (but it may be less intuitive to know the waves rather than the games the few conflicting tracks come from).

Not to mention, you're adding an extra digit to every single abbreviation for very little gain and only more to memorize
Isn't it more of a headache to worry about changing previous acronyms that have already been established for a year already? I personally would be fine with 5 letter acronyms if it means that I don't have to change them later and relearn everything all again.

Another gain that I see is that it can allow newer players to locate the tracks more efficiently through the added number. the r in rMC immediately tells me its a retro track, allowing my possibilities to 16 options. Quick find for me. The d in dEA immediately tells me its a dlc track. Again, 16 possibilities. What exact benefit does a simple b tell me if I have to go through 48 tracks to find it? I'll just be running out of time to pick the course at that point. The number helps simple it down to 8 possibilities.

Jazzy

Staff member
Administrator
Amplify Staff
Site Supporter
Founding Member
I will argue that it is only more to remember for the new players joining in like a year. We will all get 3 months to really get down 2 cups worth of tracks, and then cycle through those. I personally think a blanket use of b is the best, but the second best idea I have seen is the a b c one, as it only adds one letter.
Yep, it's a gradual learning curve for maybe 12-20 months, and then for all of eternity we have to do it all at once.

Another gain that I see is that it can allow newer players to locate the tracks more efficiently through the added number.
This is interesting, because if you are given the number you can locate it in the game faster, but if you know only the track you are imagining, you still have to know the cup to determine the number.

Personally I do not view the prefix as necessary to located a track. We already have 48 tracks. If I gave you the names "Music Park", "Super Bell Subway", and "Sunshine Airport" without any abbreviations I do not think we have trouble narrowing it down instantly to 16.

I think for our purposes, being able to determine which cup a track is in, is not worth complicating the abbreviations to the point they are ugly, hard to remember, or both.

Pyrus

Media Staff
Site Supporter
Founding Member
As far as I am aware, I am pretty sure that just using the original console, (wiiCM), would be the easiest. It wouldn't matter if the track shares the name with another track since it would be game specific and have already existed in abbreviations before. Also there is no need to follow tradition when it comes to this imo.

Royal

SUMMIT Staff
Event Organizer
Media Staff
Founding Member
imo, I agree with Amber that we should leave the original 48 completely alone if at all possible. I also think we should be steady with all prior abbreviations the PP have used, because that'll keep things as simple as possible in the long term.

I also believe we should use b prefixes over Nato's suggestion, for "official use". I have no issue if people just want to say "go GCN BC" and I think that's probably even the best for casual use in wars or lounge. But as far as things like official abbreviations go, especially with bots and all of that, I think having a short code name is still probably preferred, regardless of how long it's used. It just feels weird to switch the whole system to like DS SR, because we already have abbreviations for the older 48.

rRRd and rRRy are examples of the steadiness mentioned, they were used in the same game.

- dRR can stay SNES RR. We're all used to this, and it was the only original DLC Rainbow Road.
- Ribbon Road ironically was never abbreviated RR. On MKSC, it was RiR. dRiR feels right, if anything.
- I would advise that likewise, if GBA Rainbow Road comes back, we label it bRaR. This was also an original distinction used in MKSC because of Ribbon
- rRRd can remain also as an original 48.
- Choco Mountain and Coconut Mall have distinct names. I almost wanted to do bCM1 and bCM2 like MKDS did with the retro LCs, and this could work because of Choco being chronologically first and earlier in the cup order. But I actually am against it now, because it's not intuitive to new players.

I really like bCMo and bCMa over the other options, but there are some drawbacks down the road. They look so much more clean than tHe oNeS tHaT lOoK lIkE tHiS. If one is shorter than the other, it makes the distinction weirder and creates favoritism for one of them I feel like too. So I'd say:

bCMo & bCMa > bChM & bCM or bChM & bCoM

but, we'll run into some conflict later on this.

The bigger question becomes what happens if the later Rainbow Roads enter the discussion. I really don't like the idea of having 2 characters as a suffix also. That makes it weird with MK64, but RR64 is covered for already and Choco Mountain could technically be covered by bCMo.

Whether or not we pre-emptively name things is going to be a big dispute. Like for instance, if SNES Bowser Castle 1 comes back, are we fine with calling it bBC1 knowing that GBA BC1 could also come back in a later pack? Should we name it bBC1s ahead of time? Well, I think we shouldn't, because I don't think we should make things more complicated than they have to be. That's part of the point of this system, it's simple.

However, if GBA BC1 were to come back multiple waves later, I think we should rename both. This is because people entering the scene would really have no understanding why one would be bBC1 and not the other and may get them confused. I know this could get really awkward if like, one is in wave 2 and one comes out over a year in wave 6. But I still think these tracks are new enough that we could just apply an update if needed. It's not like we don't know which tracks are at risk either.

The issue with bCMo and bCMa are as follows. Say we get N64 Sherbet Land in pack 2, and name it bSL. This is fine. But maybe in pack 4, they bring back GBA Snow Land. Like our pack 1 tracks, they still have differing names, but the 2nd word is still Land, so we wouldn't be able to distinguish them in the same style. You'd have to use like bShL and bSnL, which would suggest we use bChM and bCoM. I think these all look gross.

As if this problem couldn't get any worse, this isn't a solution either. Because then you get Shy Guy Beach and Shy Guy Bazaar, where the first words are the same and the last one differs. Surely, this would have to be bSGBa and bSGBe. This problem is just getting out of hand at this point.

I think we should probably do the following: use a suffix system based on origin game, and only apply it when we have to. This may mean updating some of the Booster Tracks as time passes if a conflict arises.

The best suffixes are probably the ones Jazzy brought up. Here's the full list of possibilities.

SNES BC1 - bBC1 or bBC1s
SNES BC2 - bBC2 or bBC2s
SNES BC3 - bBC3 or bBC3s
Choco Mountain - bCM64
N64 Wario - bWS or bWS64
N64 Sherbet - bSL or bSL64
N64 Castle - bBC or bBC64
GBA SGB - bSGB or bSGBa
GBA BC1 - bBC1 or bBC1a (you know the rest)
Snow Land - bSL or bSLa
GBA Luigi - bLC or bLCa
GBA Rainbow - just bRaR tbh
GCN Luigi - bLC or bLCg
GCN Waluigi - bWS or bWSg
GCN Castle - bBC or bBCg
GCN Rainbow - bRR or bRRg

Y'all get the idea now. Suffixes for the following:

MKDS - d
MKWii - w
MK7 - 7
MKTour - t

Other important ones I think:

GCN Mario Circuit - bMaC
GCN Mushroom City - bMuC

but maybe only if they're not the only bMC. For GBA RR, bRaR makes sense I think because Ribbon is in the game already. I would probably just go straight to bMuC though for Mushroom City since it's never been used as MC. GCN MC was rMC in mkw.

We could also just do case by case. It may be more complicated, but I think it could work if we all just agree. I do like bCMo and bCMa more because I hate the 64 suffix being 2 letters, tbh. (i pronounce them bee cee moe and bee cee mah btw, and you can't stop me)

Really, I don't know. There's probably too many avenues to deal with. The thing I would consider is that even after pack 1 we all understand that we may want to be flexible based on what happens in later packs and apply fixes if needed. I would probably start with bCMo and bCMa with consideration that we may change things down the road.

The only 2 things I very much agree with though:

- leave og 48 alone
- only do suffixes if we literally have to in order to distinguish them

edit: oh yeah, another stupid note. We may get bailed out on Banshee Boardwalk and Berlin. This is because they never released a BB, only a BB2, in MKTour. But Tokyo Blur appears to be a hybrid, so we may just get a "Berlin Byways". There's only one current version of it though, so it's hard to say.
nice first go bbc

Royal

SUMMIT Staff
Event Organizer
Media Staff
Founding Member
also this whole thing is kinda pointless just use the actual names of the tracks its a lot less confusing

joel

A Fleeting Dream
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Hi, speedrun mod here, just wanted to give my thoughts. Vike already shared some of it on the previous page.

Hi, ratio here.

GCN Mario Circuit - bMaC

You've got a bMaC in the back of your pants.

Yep, it's a gradual learning curve for maybe 12-20 months, and then for all of eternity we have to do it all at once.

12-20 months? My mom said she's kicking me out in 6 months I don't have that long.

nice first go bbc

Not funny. Ratio + you eat toast for lunch

Tyler

Site Supporter
Founding Member
Hi, ratio here.

You've got a bMaC in the back of your pants.

12-20 months? My mom said she's kicking me out in 6 months I don't have that long.

Not funny. Ratio + you eat toast for lunch
I knew I'd find you here.

When are you gonna pay me back that $10 that you spent on "dinner"? I know you spent it on Fortnite skins. You thought I wouldn't find out about it if you just deleted me on Epic Games, but I've got friends in high places. I've seen what you've been up to, I know about your recent purchase of the Love Ranger. Is that all I am to you? Someone you can bum money from to spend on vBucks? And $10? Is that all our friendship was worth? I trusted you, I gave you money when I thought that you were hungry and in need of some help, and you turned around and stabbed me right in the backbling.

Now that I've caught you red-handed, in front of everyone, you have no choice but to give me my money back. I heard the Bugha skin is coming back to the item shop soon and that $10 is just enough for me to buy it.

Vike

Staff member
Administrator
Site Developer
Site Supporter
also this whole thing is kinda pointless just use the actual names of the tracks its a lot less confusing
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this works great if you only speak to people who speak the same language with you, but if you want to tell a Japanese teammate what track you want to pick then standardised abbreviations are what you will want.