MK8DX Booster Pass Abbreviations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nato

Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Founding Member
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this works great if you only speak to people who speak the same language with you, but if you want to tell a Japanese teammate what track you want to pick then standardised abbreviations are what you will want.

I would agree but theres been times I have called dRR in lounge and I guess people also think thats Ribbon Road. You can have w.e you want for speedrun/leaderboard sake, but I think you tell someone wii cm theyll understand

Grimm

Dancing in your nightmares
MKU Staff
Media Staff
Site Supporter
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this works great if you only speak to people who speak the same language with you, but if you want to tell a Japanese teammate what track you want to pick then standardised abbreviations are what you will want.
And this is why the b prefix is the best option, IMO. All languages can understand the shorthand theoretically
I would agree but theres been times I have called dRR in lounge and I guess people also think thats Ribbon Road. You can have w.e you want for speedrun/leaderboard sake, but I think you tell someone wii cm theyll understand
You would think, but you never know to be honest.

myles

MKU Staff
Event Organizer
Media Staff
Site Supporter
As far as I am aware, I am pretty sure that just using the original console, (wiiCM), would be the easiest. It wouldn't matter if the track shares the name with another track since it would be game specific and have already existed in abbreviations before. Also there is no need to follow tradition when it comes to this imo.
i like this idea a lot. at the end of the day, this conversation doesn’t really serve any purpose as we are gonna see what types of abbreviations the community ends up using pretty soon when the waves start to come out, that’s when we’ll get our ‘answer’

Pii

I think the best solution for overlapping tracknames is to replace the "b" with a letter signaling what console the track originally is from. Would eliminate all overlapping abbreviations I'm assuming. Apart from DS

Wii Bowser's Castle: wBC
GCN BC : gBC
GBA BC : gBC1 (2-3-4)
SNES BC : sBC
N64 BC : nBC or BC64 which I think will be popular
MKT BC (if there was one) : tBC
3DS BC : 3BC
DS BC : dsBC (idk what can be done there)

What do you think?

Grimm

Dancing in your nightmares
MKU Staff
Media Staff
Site Supporter
I think the best solution for overlapping tracknames is to replace the "b" with a letter signaling what console the track originally is from. Would eliminate all overlapping abbreviations I'm assuming. Apart from DS

Wii Bowser's Castle: wBC
GCN BC : gBC
GBA BC : gBC1 (2-3-4)
SNES BC : sBC
N64 BC : nBC or BC64 which I think will be popular
MKT BC (if there was one) : tBC
3DS BC : 3BC
DS BC : dsBC (idk what can be done there)

What do you think?
The reason I do not think this is a good idea is that there are less exceptions to the "b" rule than people think, and the ones that there are I think everyone can deal with. New players coming in with the "b" at least adds uniformity to the rest of the game, like the "d" and "r" tracks. I think when and where there is an overlap we can then use the consoles at the end, as someone mentioned above. This needs to be uniform for all languages and not all languages had the consoles have the same names as they were in english (GBA would be a prime example of that)

Squigly

Site Supporter
Ever since the Booster Pass has been announced, a lot of us have been discussing ideas for what abbreviations we should be using for the new tracks. I think it's important for us to try and solidify these abbreviations so that there is no confusion in the future. That being said, I'd like to see what different ideas everyone has just to see what options we have to choose from!

Here are the ideas that I currently have for the tracks coming in March:

Paris Promenade - bPP
Toad Circuit - bTC
Choco Mountain - bCMo
Coconut Mall - bCMa

Tokyo Blur - bTB
Shroom Ridge - bSR
Sky Garden - bSG
Ninja Hideaway - bNH

To Discuss:
  • I think using the letter B to signify the booster tracks is a good letter to differentiate the tracks from all the others, however the downside to this is that there will be 48 tracks with this letter unlike the usual 16 so is it worth having multiple letters / numbers or would we just stick to 1 letter?

• It's also important to note that in the first cup we are already thinking about two tracks which share the same letters, so we'll have to find a combination of letters which most people are happy with.

• Lastly, we should keep in mind all of the future tracks as well which might share the same letters as the tracks released before them. Would we change the previous abbreviations to help separate the tracks or do we keep them and change the later ones instead?
Why do we need Abbreviations?

In the competitive community, having abbreviations for tracks are important as they are a quick and efficient way to text someone a track without typing out the full words. On occasion, it is also better to communicate a track in voice call through it's abbreviation as it can be faster and clearer to say which could help avoid confusion with another track with a similar name. A good example of this would be saying rMC for GBA Mario Circuit to avoid confusion with MK8 Mario Circuit.
I think track abbreviations are confusing lol

Tymbuh

Site Supporter
Founding Member
Considering that it's been a few months since Wave 1 came out, as well as the recent news that Wave 2 is being released next week, I would like to hear what the community has been thinking about how we've been abbreviating the courses and how we should abbreviate the new tracks that are coming to the game.

From my personal experience, I've been using the 'b' abbreviation system ever since the tracks came out for events like speedrunning, time trials and in general text conversation. That being said, I would like to continue using this system as I like how cohesive it follows the other abbreviations to other tracks.

Here are my thoughts:

New York Minute - bNYM
Mario Circuit 3 - bMC3
Kalimari Desert - bKD
Waluigi Pinball - bWP

Sydney Sprint - bSS
Snow Land - bSL
Mushroom Gorge - bMG
Sky-High Sundae - bSHS

To Discuss:
  • Both Tour tracks Sydney Sprint and Singapore Speedway have the same abbreviation and I believe without a doubt that Singapore will be an upcoming track to the BCP. My general idea is for Singapore to be bSSy, similarly to how rRRy is abbreviated. We could also change the abbreviation for Sydney to bSyS. Let me know what you think!

• Snow Land also shares the same abbreviation as Sherbet Land (N64), however we aren't as sure if Sherbet Land will come out unlike Singapore, so I don't think we'll need to worry about the abbreviation for that for now. If it ever does come out however, we can still abbreviate it to bShL instead.​
Again this is just my opinion and many of you still might not use the 'b' system which is understandable! Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts and speculations on this =P

hdj6JBr.png

Rookie

Staff member
Administrator
Media Staff
Founding Member
bSyS and bSiS are fine, and my uncle says 64 Sherbet Land is being left back in MKW where it belongs, so bSL is fine

Italic

Founding Member
fuck consistency let's deal with it later and just keep the abbreviations simple for now

Singapore can be bSSy though

Rastasame

We could just use b as a prefix in order to stay consistent with previous abbreviations and because it’s the shortest and most instinctive way to name tracks imo.

mobdro 2022

Last edited:

Tymbuh

Site Supporter
Founding Member
Wave 4 has officially been announced and since we only have a week until it’s release I thought to do a quick runover on what I think the new abbreviations should be for these upcoming
tracks:

Here’s what I came up with:

Amsterdam Drift - bAD
Riverside Park - bRP
DK Summit - bDKS
Yoshi’s Island - bYI

Bangkok Rush - bBR
Mario Circuit - bMC
Waluigi Stadium - bWS
Singapore Speedway - bSSy

To Discuss:

• Mario Circuit shares its abbreviation with…other Mario Circuits so this could be potentially dangerous. However, do I believe that Nintendo will add in ANOTHER Mario Circuit by the end of Wave 6? Potentially, but I’m willing to take the risk that they won’t. We’ve already had MC3 in Wave 2 so I don’t think they will want to saturate the BCP with more of them. So for that reason, I think having bMC should be fine for the time being.

• Waluigi Stadium could also potentially share the same abbreviation as N64 Wario Stadium, but again, I can’t imagine that track getting added considering we already have a Wario Stadium in the base game and we aren’t expecting anymore N64 tracks to show up, so I think we should be fine with having bWS.

• Last but not least, Singapore Speedway would be sharing it’s abbreviation with Sydney Sprint, however I believe sticking to what I said before about using bSSy instead could be a good workaround. If anyone’s wondering why I chose bSSy instead of bSiS or bSSp is because I think it personally looks better, similary to how rRRy is abbreviated.

Obviously all this is still my opinion so if anyone’s got any different ideas I’d love to hear them out!

Italic

Founding Member
my thoughts:
bsps looks better than bsis or bssp
bmcds is funny because it kinda looks like the McDonald's abbreviation so we should use that
bdksc would be more consistent with its abbreviation in mkw