Time Trial Leaderboard Template

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vike

Staff member
Administrator
Site Developer
Site Supporter
What is this?
This is a google sheets template to help you easily set up your own time trial leaderboards. You might use this if you want:
  • A time trial leaderboard for your clan
  • A leaderboard for an alternate time trial category (e.g. shroomless, baby strats, flap etc.)
Features
  • Designed for fast data entry to add new submissions
  • Easy to edit or remove old submissions if there are mistakes
  • Automatically calculates the top 10s (no need to manually sort them yourself)
  • Overall leaderboard that ranks players on how they do on all 48 tracks
  • Supports multiple categories (e.g. 150cc and 150cc Shroomless)
  • Uses google sheets, so you can restrict editing access to those who have been approved.
What does it look like?
qbyICBD.png

This template is being used as the leaderboard for the Alternate Time Trials discord (invite).
You can take a look at this leaderboard yourself here.

How do I use it?
Template Links:
Video Instructions:
If you prefer text instructions, see inside this spoiler:
Initial Setup
  1. Open the template link from above
  2. File > Make a Copy
    1. Choose the name you want for the sheet
    2. If "Make a Copy" is greyed out, make sure you are logged in on a google account
  3. Open the categories sheet
    1. Enter all the time trial categories you would like to have.
    2. For the abbreviation, this is a short name for the category that you type when entering submissions.
      1. Keep this short so that data entry is fast
    3. You can delete the 150cc Shroomless category if you don't plan on using it.
    4. Once you have set things up, you can hide the sheet by right clicking on the Sheet name and selecting "Hide Sheet"
      1. You can always open hidden sheets again by clicking the 4 horizontal lines on the bottom left
  4. Open the 150cc sheet
    1. Duplicate the 150cc sheet by right clicking on the sheet name and selecting "Duplicate"
      1. You will want to create the same number of duplicates as you have categories
      2. If you only have one category, there is no need to duplicate the sheet
    2. You should now have one sheet for each category
      1. For each sheet, change the sheet name so it is the same as the category name
      2. Also edit the title of the sheet (The cell in the middle of row 2) to be the same as the category name
        1. If you are editing the right cell, it will give you auto-completion of the available categories.
    3. After doing this, each sheet will now be configured correctly
Adding Players
  1. Open the players sheet
  2. Add a new row to the bottom of the table and enter the player's name and country
    1. If the country is not listed, you will need to add the country in the "Countries" sheet
  3. Sort the players table by name from "A -> Z" using the column filter.
Adding Submissions
  1. Open the submissions sheet
  2. Add a new row and fill out the columns
    1. First column is the track acronym e.g. MKS, rDP3, dHC
    2. Second column is the category shorthand you set up at the beginning
    3. Third column is the player's name
    4. Fourth column is the time e.g. 1:23.456, 12.345, 1.234
    5. Fifth column is a link to the proof. This could be whatever you like e.g. a tweet, photo, video
  3. The leaderboard sheet should automatically update with the time you entered
  4. Notes:
    1. If someone improves their time, just add a new row rather than editing the previous submission
    2. If there is a mistake in a previous submission though, you can edit it just fine.

Last edited:

Hi.

When I would try to do a submission and finish that submission. The person's flag would be different than what I put that person's flag as. Is there a reason for this?

Vike

Staff member
Administrator
Site Developer
Site Supporter
That could be because you did not sort the list of players, you need to make sure you sort the players from A -> Z each time you add a new one.
You can do this using the filter button on the Name cell at the top.

Rookie

Staff member
Administrator
Media Staff
Founding Member
Wow, this is really cool actually. I gave up on updating a HD leaderboard years ago because of the amount of effort it took to maintain, but this may make it worth trying again.

Vike

Staff member
Administrator
Site Developer
Site Supporter
The templates have been updated for DLC for a few weeks now, if there are any issues with them let me know

Triv

The templates have been updated for DLC for a few weeks now, if there are any issues with them let me know
Hi Vike - first off, thank you for providing this resource to us. As a mid-div team who only joined the competitive community last year, it's been super helpful for my members to learn strats/lines and compete against each other in tt's to get top spots.

We've been using the old template, and I'm wondering if there's an easier way to copy our data from this template to the new template (since we're working off a copy of the original and it doesn't update with the DLC tracks). I've tried copying our times into this new sheet - both just from the Google document, as well as an excel sheet, and alphabetically, from rWS to WP, all times are categorized in the Track Calcs tab under DS Wario Stadium (see below)

unknown.png

I feel like this process shouldn't be that difficult, so maybe I'm overlooking something silly. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks :)

Jhine7

This is amazing work! I just started using this myself.

One question: If I wanted the same person to occupy multiple spots in the same courses' top 10, what would I edit to make this possible? Right now, each top 10 only allows unique names to be entered. To work around this, I'm entering multiple variations of the same person on the players sheet. e.g. JohnDoe1, JohnDoe2, etc.

Thanks!

Pokitren

This is amazing work! I just started using this myself.

One question: If I wanted the same person to occupy multiple spots in the same courses' top 10, what would I edit to make this possible? Right now, each top 10 only allows unique names to be entered. To work around this, I'm entering multiple variations of the same person on the players sheet. e.g. JohnDoe1, JohnDoe2, etc.

Thanks!
I have the same problem. I support the function request.

Toto6420

I just downloaded the template with the dlc, but whenever I try to submit, the dlc tracks don’t show up. Is there a fix to this?