Time Trials vs. VS. Builds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Projesin

Hey everyone,

Big-time MK8DX casual here, new to forums for competitive racers. Looking for a little insight!

I have my build that I've always preferred for 150cc, but I wonder if most of you have different builds for Time Trials and VS races against others. Does knowing you are going to get blue-shelled, lightninged, etc cause you to go for a different build than you use for Time Trials?

I've been using Dry Bowser/Pipe Frame/Bowser Kite forever, and am curious about upping my game - but I care much more about racing others than I do trimming seconds in a TT.

Thanks for your feedback!

paralysis

sunshine and lollipops
Site Supporter
Hey Projesin!

There are a few tracks in time trials in which a specific character/vehicle combo are used instead of the meta.

Smaller characters are used on some tracks (like Donut Plains 3, Neo Bowser City, Dragon Driftway, etc.) to get a better acceleration stat.
Some TTs use strange combos in order to get more of a certain stat, such as Wario Stadium or Dolphin Shoals. The WR combo for Wario Stadium is built to get more of the speed stat, and the WR combo for Dolphin Shoals is built to get more of the water speed stat. You can check out hidden stats on this website: https://www.mk8dxbuilder.com/

You usually wouldn't want to use a special TT combo online. The most optimal online combination would be any heavyweight character/wiggler, standard bike, scooty, or biddybuggy/rollers/cloud or paper glider. It is best on all tracks and provides great acceleration and a nice weight and speed stat.

Hope this helped!

Signalex

Hey! some other things you should know.

The two ‘most optimal’ combinations are waluigi on the wiggler or mr. scooty with roller wheels and paper/could glider. using dry bowser is fine, as it gives you a little bit more speed compared to waluigi, while very slightly compromising the acceleration stat. in online play, i would recommend only using these two vehicles (wiggler and scooty), as they give the best in-game stats for online play with a slim hitbox to boot. wiggler is good for you if you want to drive safer and more consistently while going pretty fast, and scooty is better if you’re wanting to charge MTs faster - i’d advise wiggler for you seeing as you already use pipe frame, and the two are relatively similar

Draven

ayo
Site Supporter
Founding Member
I can give a little personal insight too.

If you watched anyone play the Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, you may notice them hopping and usually using Morton with the Blue Falcon/Streetle and Slick Wheels. Reason being because firehopping was how you moved in that game.

It's not the case in Deluxe, it got patched, and then your ability to get the UMT faster along with the SMT became the "meta". So combos like Heavy/Scooty/Rollers became the norm because of their acceleration and mini turbo stat being so high, again because of the new meta, and no more firehopping.

Luxstar's link for the builder can be a big help for what you need, and as long as your Acceleration stat is good, then you can easily do well in the game. You don't even need the meta, personally for me, I usually use Gold Mario or Mario when I play, just what works best for you, and at the end of the day, it's how YOU have fun with the game.

If I confused you at all, I apologize, I love to ramble :LOL:.