This is a guide detailing the tracks you can outrun blue shells on to the finish line and/or outrun the blue long enough to the point that it de-spawns, or as I’ll call it, “poofs.” Some general information to remember when outrunning blue shells:
- Blue shells take ~30 seconds to poof.
- Entering a cannon glider while a blue shell is locked onto you will cause the blue to delay going through the cannon; giving you enough time to continue outrunning when landing back on the track. If the blue hasn’t locked on when you’re already going through the cannon, it will hit you upon landing as there will be no delay.
- It’s generally best to stay in the middle of the track as blue shells can cut off nearby off-road and out of bounds corners in order to hit you. The strategy often becomes continuing to lead the blue shell behind you and not giving it a chance to catch up or cut you off.
- Maintaining smooth drifting lines, otherwise known as neutral drifting, is important when going around longer turns as any sort of waggle back and forth of the control stick can slow you down enough for the blue shell to catch up and strike.
- Once a blue shell has locked on, you will no longer get warning signals for other items like red shells. Be sure to keep your awareness behind you while outrunning.
- Getting inked by Blooper while outrunning a blue shell will result in it catching up to you if there is no boost pad nearby to remove the ink. This is because Blooper ink reduces your speed and traction when drifting.
- Since coins increase your top speed, having a higher coin count generally makes outrunning blue shells easier.
NISC = no item shortcut
MT = mini-turbo
SMT = super mini-turbo
UMT = ultra mini-turbo
neutral drift = drifting with little-to-no movement of the control stick
I hope this guide can serve as a helpful resource for anyone in the community. Nino and I will also update it with any new discoveries that are made, so feel free to share (contact Deci#2998 or Nino#7057 on Discord) if you find one! Very special thanks to @Nino. and @Elmer for all the help in creating this guide and thank you to any credited players for clips provided!
Players credited for clips and discoveries:
Chibi (Luma): https://twitter.com/Eevee2727