Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Pack Plans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Athaway

RΞOL
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Hi everyone,

To our surprise, after being subject to the same tracks for years, we're finally getting new content for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! Given the suddenness of this news, it obviously leaves a fair amount of work for us as we move forward, but at the very least, we'd like to be clear about our tentative plans for the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Pack and what it means for our competitions on the site.

There's no saying how far in advance each wave will be announced, and along with that, when they'll be released. Because of this, we have ultimately decided that, with the distribution of each wave, there will be a one-week grace period where newly released tracks will not be permitted in team tournaments.

This grace period, in essence, means that the picking of these tracks in any team tournament, assuming one or more are ongoing, will be treated equally as a repick (-20 penalty) during the first week of them being released. In the event a track is chosen by random, no penalties will be issued, and the race will count. Following each week-long period, the newly added tracks will officially be permitted, and this will continue until all of the tracks from the Booster Pack have been added.
*It is worth mentioning that this does not apply to Lounge, which will be allowing all of the new tracks as soon as they are available. All of this will also be added to the Universal Ruleset.

To take things further, it has also been announced by Nintendo that, in a friend room, only one player will need to have the Booster Pack in order for everyone in that room to have access to the DLC tracks. If this works as we envision it to, we will likely make it mandatory for anyone hosting official matches to have downloaded the Booster Pack since it is the easiest way (and frankly, the bare minimum) to comfortably implement DLC tracks into our competitions.

Of course, it goes without saying that, unlike the original MK8, we technically cannot enforce a universal requirement for everyone to purchase the Booster Pack. However, we strongly recommend that you do purchase it. Given our status as a competitive community, we feel it would be wrong to not welcome and embrace new content like this; not doing so could also lead to other problems in the future. We hope you understand this decision as we believe it is what is best for our community long-term.

To reiterate, these plans are simply tentative and subject to change depending on community feedback (and other news, if we hear more). We feel that what we have presented is the fairest way to handle the influx of new tracks with how little experience players/teams will have on them upon initial release to ensure the best competition possible.

This thread will remain open for anyone to comment on what has been put forward thus far. We hope you're all just as excited as we are, and we cannot wait to see what's in store for the future.

- MKCentral Staff

Royal

SUMMIT Staff
Event Organizer
Media Staff
Founding Member
during said grace period, will we have the option to play with dlc on if the opposing team agrees to it?

Samuel

Site Supporter
I'm not sure if MKU dates have been finalised so far, but I think MKU being delayed to 20 March would be a good idea, if it doesn't cause too much trouble of course. That way, the first wave would be able to be played immediately on week 1 without having to worry about imbalance between multiple weeks. Plus, if imbalance is a concern, you wouldn't have to wait until S18 to play the new waves during MKU.

Last edited:

Wii Killer

I like Coconut Mall very much. I wish it was a real place I would like to go there to have a coffee and buy pet supplies.