MKU Tournament #4 Feedback Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nato

Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Was there anything you think should've been done differently? Anything you'd like to see done in future events?

Post literally anything you'd like here, as it helps us prepare for future events that will be even more catered towards you guys!

(Keep it PG and on topic, off topic posts will be deleted)

Power

aka p2
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Smooth event overall, I think finals should be played as a cumulative result over 2 matches (1968 points), or bo3
It doesn't bring more hype, but it's more interesting to play from my player perspective

Jinnysoyun

Founding Member
Maybe a swiss tournament where the top 8 or 16 teams advance to a bracket. But one with equal chances for every team from the beginning. No seeds or anything or top 8 advantage to the next stage beforehand. I know the reason was that no one enjoys stomps or anything but just look at the results of Seed 1 vs Seed 4 teams within the groups. And even the Seed 1 vs 2 or 3 matches weren't that enjoyable for everyone. Also a swiss guarantees a certain amount of matches for every team so that'd prevent what happened to RK and MT. Still it's possible to find a top 16 or 8 even in a swiss.

Athaway

RΞOL
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Good tournament overall, however I saw some people mentionning 2 things : lack of rankings accuracy (9-16 are all listed as 9 etc...) and another thing that may sound selfish but when you think about it, it has a point : people who gets to the elite bracket and get knocked R1 play less wars than "lower" teams in consolation bracket (RK playing only 1 match for example).

I went on excel rly quick and did some stuff and I ended up with something that imo can be an alternative to this tournament (example is for 40 teams participating)+ top 8 seed

bc10d0c2983e65d397d8994046fe1bff.png

that's the main bracket, nothing much changed except that we added a 3rd place match (could be played at the same time as finals)
232920c95db2823f10e4a70950647986.png

Now that's where things start. the 4 teams out in quarters ends up in some kind of "sub-bracket" and face for 5th to 8th places
ce492c1d7e9fc9404bc1706082bc2a68.png
2nd change, this is a 8-team "sub-bracket" with the 8 teams who went out in round 2, fighting for the 9th to 16th places
Repeat the 9-16th places bracket with the 8 losers of round 1 and you got your 24 first places.
Consolation bracket works basically the same as elite bracket.

Advantages :
Everyone play the same numbers of match (except obviously for top 8 seed)
If you lose once, you're not totally out, you just can't win anymore but you can still trying to get the higher rank you can (RK example)
more accuracy in final standings if the tournament is made for next season seeding purpose

Disadvantages :
If a team drops, it fucks more matches, but IN THEORY all teams registered for the same length (in this tournament August 26-September 16th)

I tried to make my screens as clear as I could but lmk if you don't understand some

Darren

Site Supporter
Founding Member
From a casting perspective I feel like more POVs should've been provided. From both the matches I saw (xi HD and JBZZ HD), only one perspective was provided in both, which not only hinders our ability to determine the strategy of the opposing team, but overall tends to make the outcome of each race unclear until the actual results screen, and only allows us to observe the situation of one player in particular. Obviously if only one person is streaming the match then only using one POV is excusable, but I know that at least for the finals multiple players were streaming, yet only one perspective was used. I can see that it could be too tedious to set up, and as someone with virtually no streaming knowledge I totally understand that, but I think being able to see more POVs in the future would make the casts much more enjoyable overall, especially if there is at least one from each team.

Cynda

=)
Staff member
Administrator
SUMMIT Staff
Event Organizer
Site Supporter
Founding Member
Good tournament overall, however I saw some people mentionning 2 things : lack of rankings accuracy (9-16 are all listed as 9 etc...) and another thing that may sound selfish but when you think about it, it has a point : people who gets to the elite bracket and get knocked R1 play less wars than "lower" teams in consolation bracket (RK playing only 1 match for example).

I went on excel rly quick and did some stuff and I ended up with something that imo can be an alternative to this tournament (example is for 40 teams participating)+ top 8 seed

bc10d0c2983e65d397d8994046fe1bff.png

that's the main bracket, nothing much changed except that we added a 3rd place match (could be played at the same time as finals)
232920c95db2823f10e4a70950647986.png

Now that's where things start. the 4 teams out in quarters ends up in some kind of "sub-bracket" and face for 5th to 8th places
ce492c1d7e9fc9404bc1706082bc2a68.png
2nd change, this is a 8-team "sub-bracket" with the 8 teams who went out in round 2, fighting for the 9th to 16th places
Repeat the 9-16th places bracket with the 8 losers of round 1 and you got your 24 first places.
Consolation bracket works basically the same as elite bracket.

Advantages :
Everyone play the same numbers of match (except obviously for top 8 seed)
If you lose once, you're not totally out, you just can't win anymore but you can still trying to get the higher rank you can (RK example)
more accuracy in final standings if the tournament is made for next season seeding purpose

Disadvantages :
If a team drops, it fucks more matches, but IN THEORY all teams registered for the same length (in this tournament August 26-September 16th)

I tried to make my screens as clear as I could but lmk if you don't understand some

This is a very good solution, it's just something we didn't think about when conceptualizing the tournament. Once I saw RK and MT only got to play one match I felt pretty bad and saw the flaw with the system we used. We'll definitely keep this in mind if we do another tourney like this in the future.

From a casting perspective I feel like more POVs should've been provided. From both the matches I saw (xi HD and JBZZ HD), only one perspective was provided in both, which not only hinders our ability to determine the strategy of the opposing team, but overall tends to make the outcome of each race unclear until the actual results screen, and only allows us to observe the situation of one player in particular. Obviously if only one person is streaming the match then only using one POV is excusable, but I know that at least for the finals multiple players were streaming, yet only one perspective was used. I can see that it could be too tedious to set up, and as someone with virtually no streaming knowledge I totally understand that, but I think being able to see more POVs in the future would make the casts much more enjoyable overall, especially if there is at least one from each team.

This is something the Media Team could accomplish in the future, it's just a matter of figuring out how to do so. The casters each having 2 stream tabs open at the same time can easily cause some delay and confusion as to which stream they're supposed to be watching; changing the audio when switching between streams is also a bit of a pain. The best solution I can think of is the stream host screensharing to the casters, but then we'd be relying on Discord to not die randomly. It's definitely possible, just something we'd need to put some research into before we'd be able to do it confidently.

Rookie

Staff member
Administrator
Media Staff
Founding Member
To me, I feel we should run more double elim stuff than single to begin with, but we'll have that coming up in just a few weeks it seems regardless.

I like Athaway's idea a bit more than what we did currently. In my opinion, I think for MKU hosted events Swiss works better than bracket style to begin with. MKU is kind of the tournament that people play as a weekly match kind of thing, and I think Swiss kinda keeps that aspect going while also providing more even matches to begin with. The downside to this though is that there's almost never an upset in the first rounds due to the seedings and where we're at in the current moment (for example a 32 team swiss would pit 1 vs 17 instead of 1 vs 32)

On the casting end this may be a little crazy but if there are like 2 matches going on at the same time as part of the same tournament I think it'd be interesting at the very least to have score updates on another one of even show some footage of both. But with limited space on a stream I understand that's a little hard. Just some things that came to mind